Translate

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Hey, I just met you...

...and this is crazy.  But here's a blog post.  So read it maybe?

Okay...that was lame.  I'll admit.  But the first line is what I'd like to talk about today.  Meeting people.  Specifically, meeting people for the first time.  In my line of work, I get to see an extraordinary amount of people of all different type.  And with that, I have to decide where to put more of my power to ensure that products aren't removed without payment.

I said a while ago that people should have to do 2 years of retail.  And some may think that I said that just because I work in it.  But the reason I believe that is because of a large number of practical skills you can gain.  And one is being able to read people based on appearance.  Some call it profiling.  And to some extent, it is.  But you also learn to read gestures, facial expressions, and even the way a person talks to give a quick judgement about who they are and how you should approach them.  In my job, if I see a person coming in wearing their pants hung below their ass, a rapper's t-shirt, hat worn to the side and walking with what some might call a 'swag', I am going to immediately assume that they are more of a risk for theft than a person coming in wearing a business suit and walking with the posture of a person who cares what people think about them.  Notice in there that there is no mention of race.  I've had both of these profiles met with all races.

This is an image some may recall.  The same person, wearing different attire.  In one picture, he looks to be an upstanding doctor.  The other, a punk biker.  And that's my initial impression.  And that's the point an entire ad of tattoo people were trying to get across.  Not to judge people because they have tattoos.  And I agree with that...to a point.

I understand that people have a style they enjoy, or get tattoos or body piercings because they want to express themselves.  And that's fine.  In fact, I encourage it.  But here's where I'm trying to get to.  Make sure that you can cover up your personal appearances when going someplace that might not understand, or might segregate you for it.

Look back at that picture.  Notice that when he is wearing his outfit while performing as a doctor, his tattoos are covered.  He keeps a neat and orderly appearance when he's in his profession.  I imagine that the reason for this is because he understand that there are people that might not want his care if they saw all his tattoos.  People that may not understand that they are an expression of who he is in private and have no effect on how he works.

People make judgements based on looks first.  If you make it passed that point, they might get to know you on a more personal basis.  I for one have quite a few little items and accessories that I enjoy wearing...but I wear them when and where it is appropriate.  Where people would look at me and understand what they are.  If I were to wear my steam punk garb all the time, I would expect people to think that I was some sort of weirdo.  If that person recognized me when I'm dressed normally, I would also expect that person to not want to interact with me because the first impression I gave them, and the one that is going to sit in their mind, is the one of me walking down the street in a leather jacket, aviators hat, goggles, boots, vest, and other random accessories.  So I keep that look to two occasions.  Conventions and Halloween.

Let's get back to the profiling though.  I see people come in and every person I have to make a judgement call as to whether they are a risk for stealing from the store.  A 75 year old women with a smile on her face walking in slowly to get her bottle of vodka for the month?  Low risk.  A 22 year old  wearing urban attire and fidgeting as he roams around the store looking up and down the aisle for associates?  High risk.  And yet, I still get a number of guys that do that and get offended and even irate when I'm keeping a close eye on them, pretending I'm walking around facing shelves and restocking.

But that's just one scenario.  Let me give you this one to get away from retail.  Say you are applying for a job.  You show up wearing slacks and a button down shirt (tie optional), you're clean shaven, hair neatly trimmed.  The employer is going to look at you and think you care about your appearance and therefore will make the company look good.  However, you show up to an interview wearing jeans (even if they are clean), a t-shirt, didn't shave or comb your hair...that employer is going to go through the motions, end the interview early, and throw your resume out the window as soon as you leave.

And yet, I see people show up to the store I work at doing just that.  Yeah...it's retail at a liquor store.  It's part time for just over minimum wage.  That doesn't mean that appearances mean nothing.

The point I'm trying to make is to keep in mind where you are going and what you are wearing there.  A night at the club?  Wear the stuff you think makes you look good, whatever that may be.  But remember that if you go to a store to pick up some pre-party drinks, you may be profiled as a threat to the store.  Keep in mind that your appearance is the first thing anyone sees, and they judge you based on that.  You don't want the wrong impression to be in the mind of someone you may be asking something of later...like a job.  Or the horizontal shuffle.

I personally normally dress in incognito mode.  I wear something the a majority of people will ignore me unless I initiate contact.  It allows me to force a person to judge me based on my personality...not on my appearance first.  When at work, I keep myself and my uniform as clean as possible, so that interacting with the customers is not only easier, but they think in their minds that I am knowledgable and helpful about what they need, and not some young kid just working a job to get paid.

But this is just what I see.  Do you think appearances are important?  Or should everyone just ignore their appearance and the appearance of others and judge and be judged based solely on the person?  Keep in mind, I'm not talking about race.  Just the way a person dresses and acts.  Is appearance important to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment