Translate

Friday, March 22, 2013

Miracles

If anyone ever comes into the liquor store where I work while I'm up front, they will be greeted with "It's another beautiful day."  The guys I work with give me shit about saying that every time, but I learned a long time ago that any day you wake up above ground instead of 6 feet under it...then it's a pretty good start of a day.  I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to let little issues weigh down on me for too long.  And ever since then, I've managed to keep a fairly positive outlook on life.  There are some days that I get depressed or lonely or angry because of certain situations, but overall I keep a fairly positive attitude towards life in general.  I've had some people tell me that they think it's a miracle that I can keep such a bright outlook on life despite everything going on.  The truth is, when I look at it, it's not that hard.  I just remember that no matter the problem, it's temporary and therefore will eventually pass as long as I work towards fixing it.

I've never been one to fully believe in magic and miracles.  Whether the mystical definition of manipulating energy for magic or changing water into wine...or even the more physical definition of kids staying in school despite drugs being around them always or a mom that works 3 jobs and finds time for their kids every night at dinner.  They are fantastic feel-good stories, but I attribute them to strength of will...not miracles...not magic...simply a person knowing that they are willfully stronger than their situation and have the power to correct it.

I've seen a lot of videos and news stories recently about bullying, whether at schools or online, and people gaining praise for putting up with the ridicule and the hazing and managing to get out of high school alive and into the real world.  Yet, I look back at my years of school, and think "Did it ever get that bad?"  I wasn't exactly the most popular guy in school.  I was teased, pushed around, and segregated from many of the groups all the way up until my junior year of high school.  I got into fights several times, and got my ass kicked by some of them.  Some people in that situation seclude themselves from society as much as possible, attempting to avoid the problem until it can pass.  Instead, I ran headfirst into the problem.  I wasn't going to show them I was afraid, regardless of the fact that I was.  I stood out in the open, and made myself known.  When they taunted me, I taunted back.  When they pushed me, I pushed back.  Some times I emerged victorious.  Other times, I fell to the floor.  But I never gave up.  I forced myself to continue going on, to keep getting up, so that they knew I wasn't just going to be a punching bag.  Yet, I don't think it's a miracle.  It was a choice.  I could have ran away, let them know they had me on the ropes.  But I chose to instead stand my ground.  And as time went on, I learned from the past, and gained knowledge so that in the future, I could stand my ground for longer.  Eventually I could out-wit them and they had no choice but to resort to physical violence.  And then I learned to defend myself so they had to not only think about the school's repercussions, but my own.

About the only miracle I would justify would be if every parent sat down and explained to every child that they shouldn't harass people for being different, but should embrace that difference.  Even if you have drastically different opinions, it doesn't mean that you have to hate each other.  Having nothing in common just means you don't have anything in common and therefore do not need to be friends.  But not being friends is not the same as being enemies.  And every parent needs to explain to every child that you shouldn't stand aside and not be noticed, or avoid confrontation.  Consider confrontation as a challenge and accept it.  Overcome it.  Conquer it.  Learn to fight, whether with your mind, your heart, or your fist.  Show them you won't let them walk all over you and leave you in your shadow.  Show them you have a light of your own and that it shines brighter than anyone else's.

That's the only miracle I could believe in.  A world where we aren't judged by looks or smarts or athletic ability, but instead on how we treat ourselves and others.  That would be a miracle.

Note: Sorry this is a day late, but I've been sick lately and working on a couple of projects...side tracking sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment