Translate

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Religion

I can already see people raging in the comments and they haven't even read this line.  They just read the title.  Before I get into this, let me explain where I come from.  First off, I am not religious.  I'm not an atheist, but I don't believe in any formal religion.  I do believe in a higher power, but I don't know what it is.  I've adopted a few things I morally agree with from Catholicism, Shintoism, Buddism, Christianity, Pagan, and Wicca, and use them as guidelines in which I've formed a decent moral compass.

And the thing is, that's what religion should be.  A guideline for your own moral compass.  It's teaching are not something that should be followed ver batem, nor is it something that should dictate how you treat other people.  Organized religion is, quite literally, the largest fandom on earth.

Now I don't mind people that are devoted to their religion, no matter the religion.  As long as they aren't going around trying to get everyone to feel guilty and join up themselves, or they aren't preaching the whole 'SALVATION CAN BE YOURS!' or 'YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!' pitches, then I'm happy.

Which brings me to the only group of people in the world I just don't get.  Westboro Baptist Church.  In case you've been living under a rock for the last 10 years, WBC is a religious group out of Kansas that has spread so much hate, they have to be monitored by a government organization.  These guys go around the United States and protest various events (notably military funerals, Chiefs games, San Diego Comic Con...that list goes on) with signs that are against homosexuality, hatred of the USA and everyone in it because of their tolerance to homosexuality, and generally just protest whatever the hell they want.  As I said last time, everyone is entitled to there opinion, but WBC is the one group of people that should have that right revoked.

Any religion preaching that much negativity, hatred, and anger just doesn't seem like a religion that would be nice to live with.  I imagine that the members are not exactly the brightest or have no other basis, and remain with the church for fear of what happens after death, or what the church might do to bring that date a bit closer.  Hate comes from fear and lack of understanding, and I'm betting that WBC is so afraid of gays and has no understanding of them and the people behind the negative label.


Religion should be something that give you guidance, and little warm fuzzies inside.  It should be something that helps ease your mind about death and what happens after it.  It should be something that preaches tolerance, joy, and caring for your fellow man.  So many people talk about peace, but the worst wars in human history were fought over religious differences.  Hell, we have one going on right now that never stops over is Israel and Palestine.

What people don't understand is there are many parallels in religion.  Almost all of them have some type of rule of "Treat others as you'd like to be treated." Wicca for instance has "Everything you do comes back to you times 3." I always explained this in simple terms as if I flick you on the forehead, I'll get smacked with a 2x4 later.  It's not an exact explanation, but it works to visualize the concept.

My point is, regardless of what religion you are, don't just blindly follow the writings and leaders of it.  That book was written by men who thought they knew what 'god' wanted, and edited and rewrote sections to make it more palatable.  Those leaders are just men, with the same faults and imperfections as the rest of the population.  Anyone can start a religion and gain followers.  But if they aren't preaching love and tolerance, then I don't get why they exist at all.

I have a few questions for you this week.  Feel free to answer all or just some of them if you want.

1) Do you believe in any religion, or are you spiritual in anyway?
2) Thoughts on WBC?
3) If you could start a religion, what would it be based on?  How would you preach what you believe to others?

Also, go watch Futurama episode Godfellas, and Family Guy episode The Good, the Bad and The Fonz.  As comedic as they are, there is some great little words of wisdom on religion and God in those episodes.

4 comments:

  1. 1) I classify myself as agnostic, but I use about the same system as you...I usually just try to abide by do onto others...

    2)WBC....if there was a way to revoke the first amendment for specific people...I would not object to this group...

    3.)I wouldn't start a religion...just no....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) Agreed. 2) Agreed. 3) You wouldn't want to start the Church of the Doctor? ^.^

      Delete
  2. I'm pretty spiritual.
    Moreso over the last few years.
    I feel religion has it's place on earth.

    That's not to say I go to church, or follow any set guideline of religions set in place by those before me.....

    To be honest there are not a lot of people that just aren't strong enough to handle their struggles in life without the conception of some sort of greater power.
    The idea that even though things are terrible now. Eventually they will right themselves through divine/spiritual intervention.

    At some point, all religion, or no religion sorta cancels everything out. And eventually you get down to the final question that starts it all.
    why the hell am I even here.

    And there is no real answer to that. For those that believe in religion, they are at least given a reason to exist. Whether it be truth or not. Those people are working towards what THEY think is a divine purpose.

    Which leads to WBC. They truly believe that by doing what they are doing, they will live forever in some sort of endless sanctuary in heaven.
    For everyone else in America, they are pretty much just dickholes.


    I think it's up to people themselves to find what they believe in.
    Forming a religion would be the exact opposite of that. It's more or less telling people what they should believe in.
    Whether directly, or in-directly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is probably the best reply that anyone could have written.

      Delete