Translate

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Seeking Employment

I've been searching for a career for almost 2 years now.  So far, I've looked into just about every avenue possible in order to obtain it, yet for some reason, I can't seem to get anything better than part-time, minimum wage work.  At nearly 28 year old, with the large set of skills, leadership, experience, and learning ability I possess, I find it odd that the only two types of jobs I apparently qualify for are the same job I held when I was 16, or a commission only job that puts all the risk on my shoulders with no risk to the employer, such as selling insurance.

It's not that I wouldn't like to work on commission only, it's just that the extraneous circumstances of my current living and debt situation make it impossible.  While I've never worked with that form of employment before, I do know several people that have and it worked for them.  Some of them went on to be making more than enough to live on and support their families.  However, they also have told me that it took the better part of a decade to get to that point, and the only reason they were able to do it is because they started at 18, when they had no debt, and had plenty of room to work with in case that avenue failed.  The rest of them couldn't get that career to work because either they weren't pulling in enough revenue fast enough to support themselves, or the companies that hired them practiced some unethical methods.
      
I have skills in art and sales, and I pride myself on knowing that given minimal initial training, I can learn just about anything.  Throw me in front of a machine and I'll learn it within the hour.  Give me a list of people to call for some reason and I'll use my silver tongue to sell them anything.  I'm quite efficient, and I'm willing to work hard as long as I know that at the end of the day, I've earned money that is comparative to the hours I worked.  I still work at a liquor store, making just over $9/hr.  I go in every shift, work hard, sell booze, make conversations with customers so they become loyal, and keep the store up to and beyond standards.  And I will do that and more every shift I'm scheduled for, even taking more hours whenever someone calls in.  Yet, when I see other employees that do far less work and get paid the same amount, it becomes very discouraging.  Plus, I've lost all hope of having the opportunity for advancement, which is even more discouraging.  And still I can't escape that work because it's the only source of revenue I have.

I've looked at my resume, even changing the format, the information on it, trying to cater it to each place I apply to, and yet nothing.  I've signed up for several employment agencies, and yet nothing.  It is slowly becoming apparent that there is either something critical I'm missing preventing me from getting a stable and sufficient job, or there is some form of higher inner working that I am unable to break into.

I know the economy is bad, but the fact that an intelligent, hard working, punctual and reliable individual can't get a career to support himself on is absurd.  So, if anyone reading this can help, I'd be much obliged.  I'm willing to take a job in just about anything, but would prefer a managerial role if in retail.  I will say the only limitations I set on careers is food service (did that, and after 2 injuries I find it better if I never went back) and the pay must be salary or hourly with a guaranteed 40+ hours.

I know some of my friends out there are having similiar problems, and a couple of them have overcome it.  But I'd like to hear how everyone has overcome their career problems, or what they are noticing with their problems if they are having them currently.  Post them in the comment below.

3 comments:

  1. O.k. Man


    I don't have any advice/help on scoring a job in retail.
    I specifically avoided it like the plague. Since I Knew even working just part-time, it drains you of producing stuff outside of work.


    If you are looking to head more towards your degree career, or something close.
    You're going to have to cut out any slack time you normally take to unwind after work, or before work, basically ban Facebook/any other random distraction, and get right to working on something.

    You are pretty much going to have to self manage some larger scale projects for yourself, and your portfolio, versus doing 3-4 day things.
    I would say focus on a specific company, and what they would need.

    You know this, and have always known this. The only thing holding you back is making a plan, and going with it.


    I know i'm like a robot compared to you when it comes to finshing stuff, but I will say, YES everything I work on gets boring after the first week.
    Just have to re-motivate yourself, and do stuff every day, no matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not so much getting a job in my field per se, but more so getting a job period. Even though I never went to any formal education for it, I have a knack for sales of any kind. All I need to know is what the product is, and I can sell it. The problem is more so getting a job that will actually pay me something that is livable.

      As far as getting something in my field, I would really love to do some of the ideas I have, but lack the sufficient knowledge base to do them at the level of perfection I would require. Namely in character modeling and rigging, as well as coding.

      And yes, you are a robot. But that's why we're such good friends. I come up with an idea, figure out all the details of whats needed down to the minute detail, organize the thoughts, and jam out a bunch of the quick and dirty stuff, and then you come in and add something jaw-dropping and keep the idea alive when I start getting bored. ^.^

      Delete
  2. Also if you post your progress, I promise I will cheer you on, and make positive comments.

    ReplyDelete